Tuesday 10 May 2005

Flowers of the heart

Well, it's the end of Monday. Actually, I just looked at the clock and Tuesday has been lurking about. This season, evening stays light so late, that when darkness falls, I feel I need to be up longer just to absorb and enjoy the new colour(s).

I was going to meet my pillow much sooner, but there's a lot to think about. I am still very new to this blogging sport, and anticipate the times I can spend indulging in it. Is it easy to get bogged down blogging? We'll see.

I shrink with horror when I re-read the bit I originally wrote underneath 'About Me'. My American buddies will not notice anything too unusual in the wording of 'I just have to figure out which way He's pulling!' Of course, when I use the term 'pulling', I am trying to imply that God is there to drag, or haul, me out of the muck. And I did not think twice when I wrote and posted that (big mistake). But my English buddies are so going to laugh and go 'tsk, tsk', because to them, when someone is 'pulling' another person, that means they are kissing the other person in a grotesque manner. Someone is doing a serious heave-ho on the lips of another, Hoovering away in passion. I am just so mortified, and MAJOR apologies to my British buddies. BUT, I have tried several times now to correct and re-edit the wording to be less offensive, and Blogger.com is not being very cooperative. Of course, I think a kiss from God is absolutely wonderful, but the actual image of 'pulling' is somewhat revolting (you would have to see some telly adverts over here to understand where I'm coming from on this), and totally messes with the beautiful imagery I have ever had of God kissing me or any of His other children.

Now, on to other thoughts that are more deserving ...

Mother's Day USA has just passed. Here in the UK, we call it Mothering Sunday. I thought that unusual when I moved here a few years ago, and also found out it takes place on the fourth Sunday of Lent, which comes a lot earlier than Mother's Day USA. According to the BBC Religion and Ethics site:
' ... Traditionally, it was a day when children, mainly daughters, who had gone to work as domestic servants were given a day off to visit their mother and family.'

If you would like to read more interesting theological notes on Mothering Sunday in the UK it's all in the link above. Enjoy!

I have been fortunate to have three mothers. One I have never met. For some blessed reason, she had me, and decided it would be best to give me to a beautiful young Christian lady named Lorna. Together with my father, LL, Lorna loved me, nurtured me, and showed me God's presence through an abundance of adventures during my childhood and through young adulthood. When I was aged 27, this lovely mother left to experience God's healing presence for eternity. She was so young, but her spirit was eager to see God. It wasn't long before the Lord ushered in another lovely Christian woman, Peggy. For the past 23 years, Peggy has mentored me through adulthood as a single woman. Through recent years, as I've married and become a stepmother myself, Peggy has been the perfect role model. If I can but be as gracious and loving to my stepdaughters as Peggy has been to me all these years, then I will have served a worthy purpose!

Isn't it grand how God knows who to place in our path at crucial times in our lives? I think of how Naomi was given to Ruth, and how Elizabeth loved Mary with so much grace. God lovingly fills in gaps that were once so very painful, and makes them incredibly whole.

There are some daughters I know of who are presently experiencing the pain and loss of their dear, sweet mothers. One mother was much too young to leave. Two other mothers who lived long and remarkable lives knew, peacefully, that it was time to go. Their daughters know a sweet sorrow, and for the most part, rejoiced at the merciful release into a new life with our Heavenly Father.

For the teenage daughter I know who recently lost her wonderful young mother, aged 48, I want her to know this: Your mom is with you now. I pray you will always be wrapped by the fragrance of your mother's presence, even as she now sings in God's glorious throne room. You will feel her close by. The pain and sorrow will be a journey to endure for a while. Tears will flow, and that's okay ... allow them to water the flowers of your heart. Remember that some flowers will need more nourishment than others, and you can set your own time for endurance. When your dear mother was ill, she worried that you would not understand the path she was on, and was concerned for you. Now she no longer has to worry about you! Know that your mother has the best seat in the house when it comes to watching you grow into a beautiful young woman. (You began that transformation as you learned how to pray for your mother to be healed, and took care of her on the days when it meant so much to her.) That was her wish, as it was my own mother's who left me at almost the same age. She will walk side by side with God as you take your steps into adulthood and travel the journeys He places before you. And as time goes by, and the flowers of your heart take root, you will feel the sweetest strength imaginable. You will find your own faith in Him, and yet you will recognise beautiful images of your mother as you turn special corners in your own journeys with God. There is no shame in mourning ... your father and brother will partner with you as God hugs you all with His strength. The edges of pain will eventually soften, and you will begin to understand how wonderful it is to know Heaven is that much closer.

For now the nighttime grows its darkest, just before day begins to break and the birdsong lifts its tune to wake me up for another day. The night is short, indeed.

Blessings!

2 Comments:

Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Hello, sweet friend! It was such a cool surprise to see your comments on my blog--and mom's too. I told Sheryl what you said about Maddie last night. Isn't that crazy how much she looks like me as a kid. Sometimes people just shake their heads and say, "Well, there's no doubt whose child SHE is!" Wish you could meet them.

What are you doing in London?? Hope all is well. I'll be checking in from time to time.

Blessings and love!
BST

13 May, 2005 15:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Deb, for giving me a peek into your life. I found you through Judy's blog, and thought that might, indeed, be you. It was a sweet surprise to see you at Highland a few weeks - months? - ago. You and John looked great together.:) Blessings - and hugs! - to your both.

19 May, 2005 14:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page