Tuesday 14 March 2006

The stone gathering

A group of six Believers, some of us meeting for the first time, gathered together around our small table to prepare for the Eucharist. In the centre of the table, a candle lit our small, sacred space, welcoming us to share in the light of Christ. On one side of the candle lay stones in the shape of a cross -- smooth and roughly textured. On the other side of the candlelight’s warmth was placed a bowl of clear, cool water.

As I contemplated the candle’s flame, I began to reflect on that innermost pain which bore my sins. The heat from the flame burned and as it grew, my heart confronted the transgressions that felt the most unforgivable, the most damning.

The stones, like each of us, were unique – in size, in shape – with subtle hues of different colours. All were conceived in a place of desolation. Like the stones set before us, we owned our own textures, as God chiselled away at each of us on the pathway towards our journey with him.


One by one, we each claimed a stone from the cross on our table. My stone was as misshapen as it was multi-textured. It felt gritty, as if it had just come from the ground. As I stroked and felt its imperfections, I thought, how does one caress the sinner? Tears flowed silently, warmed on my face by the candle’s heat. My eyes, closed to those in this small circle of sanctuary, sought to look inside the depths of my soul. Oh, that the Healer would find me there!

While I could not see, each member in our sacred circle of fellowship reached out to clasp my stone, and take it from me. No longer was it heavy, cumbersome. I in turn grasped their stones to my heart, petitioning the Healer to search out their depths, and carry them to the surface of light. Forgiveness is an act of partnership that renders us weightless, carefree, accepting of his touch, and marvelling at his grace.

We let go each other’s stones by releasing them into the cool, clear water. As I placed my stone into the water, the texture gently changed. All of the edges seemed to soften, and the grit sloughed off. With the washing of each stone, this water, once clean and clear, became cloudy with our diversity of imperfections.

All of us meet at the cross – alone, sometimes with timidity, other times with conviction, raw and exposed. The shape of the cross is defined by a field of stones, which Jesus gathers into the folds of his garment.

And the light from the candle seems to glow with a brightness that allows for a relationship with our Saviour, at once translucent with the joy and knowledge that we can continue the journey with him in flawless abandon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

Oh my goodness, Deb, I loved the picture of these hearts placed around the table of redemption.
I quickly sent your link to someone in our small group and told her it would be awesome to do this at our small group.
Thank you for sharing this moment...

15 March, 2006 17:04  
Blogger Beverly said...

Deb, have you been to that place in the picture? Wow, its so beautiful. I can almost hear the wind blowing in the fog..

16 March, 2006 17:43  
Blogger Deb said...

Hey, Bev! That place is in Scotland, up in the Highlands. The colours are unbelievable to me, and other-worldly. We have not been to this exact spot, but we have been to similar locations in the Highlands. Talk about remote. (We love it!) Even though it isn't the desert, these places still make me envision Jesus in the wilderness (and wind!).

16 March, 2006 23:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page